Week 23 Sports Report

15 March 2024

U12Bs vs Moulsford (Lost 1-3)

Despite the downpour the previous day, the pitches on Willsfield were primed and ready for an eventful afternoon of football. The toss was won by captain Jackson R, who chose to start with the ball. The boys made use of some early time in possession, with Oliver F and Berik I moving the opposition from side to side, waiting for the killer pass. However, it was Moulsford who struck the first blow, with a well worked team goal, despite Cameron R making a tremendous double save, the ball crossed the line on the third time of asking.

With the score held at 1-0 at half time, due to some brilliant last ditch defending from Jahnu M and Ben F, the boys had their heads held high going in to the second half. Despite some brilliant chances being created down the left by the dynamic duo of Eeshan K and Aiden C, Moulsford scored the next two goals, to make the score 3-0. The boys never gave up, and the moment of the game came from a perfectly weighted through ball by Tom Mc from midfield, being duly collected by Alex C, who opened up his body and slotted the ball in to the top left corner of the goal. Sublime. The game ended 3-1, but the team showed resilience to never give up hope and push through to the end.

Reported By Mr Stansfield 

IAPS U11 Hockey Finals 

Cheltenham College hosted the IAPS U11 hockey finals on Monday, and the Beacon School were proudly present amongst the glittering array of sporting prep schools. We were drawn in a tough pool which, to be honest, would have been the case whatever pool we were in!

A 1 – 1 start against Monkton Combe (Bath) was a very good opening and put us in fine fettle before our trickiest encounter of the pool against St George’s (Surrey). They have won the whole shebang on more than one occasion and their class showed. Saying that, I thought we played well in a 2 – 0 defeat. It was a bit like when Wales lost by less than 10 against the All Blacks. (It last happened in 2009 if you are interested!) Good, but not good enough…

Next came Cranleigh (Surrey, again) and possibly our best performance of the day. We battered against the door but unfortunately the door held. We lost 1 – 0. We should have at least drawn. It was an action replay against Beeston Hall (Norfolk). We tell our lads that hard work will pay dividends, but the sporting Gods were not smiling upon us. Another 1 – 0 defeat was a bitter pill to swallow but we had to stay positive. The boys were gelling as team and putting together some very good passages of play.

Our last pool match came against St Neots (Hampshire). They were a feisty, physical team and I thought it was an opportunity for the boys to register a win. In a tense opening, the game exploded into life with an opposition goal. Throwing caution to the wind we went into full on attack mode. Unfortunately, we still couldn’t find the back of the goal and helps explain the “more one sided than it looks” scoreline of 3 – 0.

It was a slightly anti-climactic end to the day, if truth be told. We had done brilliantly to qualify and played some great hockey along the way; dominating possession and territory in many matches. It is a fact however, that the only statistic that truly matters in sport is the one that reveals the final score. The boys should be confident moving forward. Finn R is a keeper of great promise… being brave helps, Archie KG has made literally massive progress on the right flank while George O has matched him on the left. Hunter O is the oil that keeps all moving parts of the Beacon engine moving freely and James G has been a huge success at the back.

On the way home I stopped off for a cuppa in the Cotswold haven that is Burford. I did not buy a tea towel or any fudge. In a local bookshop I stumbled upon a quote that sums up our hockey boys and their season rather nicely. It is by Eric Liddell an Olympic 400m Gold medal winner in 1924 and Scottish Rugby international in 7 tests. (Interesting chap, boys – you should look him up.)

“In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory, there is glory to be found if one has done his best.” I couldn’t put it any better. Well done all!

Squad – Henry M, Archie S,  Hunter O, Archie KG,  Harry, Finn R, Charlie C,  George O,  James G.

Reported by Mr Williams 

U8As v St John’s School, Northwood (Won 6-2)

With the tournament mid-week being cancelled due to the weather, the boys were raring to go on a sunny Thursday afternoon. Both teams were up for the game, and it showed in an end to end opening 10 minutes. Despite attacks at both ends the score was kept at 0-0, due to some excellent defending from Wilf W and a fantastic last ditch save from Aaron F. The game soon opened up when a lovely strike from Sebbi W flew into the bottom left corner. More goals followed shortly with Quinn R and Teddy S-S adding their names to the scoresheet. The score at half time was 3-1.


In the second half, the boys continued to play some excellent free flowing football, making the opposition chase the ball around the park. The goal of the game came from an excellent ball in from the left by Macsen T, which was sublimely finished off by Austin B, leaving the keeper not knowing where to look. Further goals came from Aaron F and a second from Teddy S-S, meaning the game finished 6-2. 


Not only were the boys’ sporting exploits excellent, but their sportsmanship and respect shown to the opposition were of equal calibre, which was passed on from the St John’s parents. Well done boys!

Reported by Mr Stansfield