Week 17 Sports Review

26 January 2024

Colts C1 Vs Caldicott

On Wednesday afternoon, the Colts C1’s kicked off their football season with an away trip to Caldicott. After all the storms and frozen weather, it was great to see them back out competing against other schools.

The boys started very well and got an early goal, thanks to Lawrence H who added a second not long afterwards. The boys then switched off a little and let Caldicott back into the game, they then took two of their chances to square things up at half-time.

The second half started, and it took the boys a few minutes to get back into the game but once they got back to moving the ball quickly and into space, the boys looked more confident and dangerous. Thankfully, the goals came. Lawrence H got his hat-trick and Sam H also scored a great team goal just before the end. Arthur W had a solid game in defence with Joel J playing equally well in midfield.

Great game boys, well done.

Reported by Mr Powell

Under 9 D Vs Moulsford

The under 9D1 enjoyed a resounding victory over their Moulsford counterparts with a 5 – 1 win on Tuesday. Alex H opened the scoring and enjoyed scoring so much he thought he’d do it again in the second half. Similarly, George S scored a brace and Christopher S thundered the ball in from close range to make it 5. Reev H and Reece A stood firm in defence, while Sritan C and Zayn K were both livewires in the midfield. It was a thoroughly enjoyable spectacle and a joy to be part of.

Reported by Mr Williams 

Under 12 A vs Caldicott

Caldicott 12A visited our pitches on Wednesday with expectation of a good match and a clear win. They hadn’t counted on the boys in blue having other thoughts about that. The game started off according to script with Caldicott racing into a  2 – 0 lead. Neither was the fault of GK Tag L who had an assured match and was almost balletic in some of his fine saves. The heavy pitch was clearly a leveller but there was nothing level about the wind which was in the Beacon faces. If we could turn around at 2 – 0 down there was still hope for The Beacon. As it turned out we did turn around at half time in arrears but a flurry of goals in the last 5 minutes saw the half time score at 3 -2 to Caldicott. A fierce Berik I shot squeezed under their keeper and moments later Jack R coolly slotted the ball home to give us momentum going into the second half.

The second half kicked off and immediately the Beacon pushed forward. Finley W played the ball out through the flanks and behind the defence for James L to latch onto the ball and score. However, Caldicott teams seldom acquiesce defeat and they soon led again with Beacon legs tiring. Perhaps the presence of a Watford scout on the touchline spurred our lads on, as Rawlinson capped an outstanding display with his second to make the score 4 – 4 with about 10 minutes to go. It would need a moment of magic to break this deadlock and it came through the right boot of Lazlo B. The ball fell to him on the edge of the box and with mild indifference he calmly used the outside of his foot to stroke the ball into the right hand of the net.

Alas, it was not to be the coup de grace to kill off Caldicott’s hopes. Through no fault of our excellent defenders Finlay F and Xander B Caldicott scrambled home a winner to make the final score 5 – 5. It was a game worthy of any professional competition or arena, and a credit to both sets of players. Well done all.

Reported by Mr Williams