Chlorine Gas Set Free at London Aquatics Centre

24 March 2022

On the morning of the 23rd March 2022 in Stratford, London, at the Olympic swimming pool an acidic incident took place. A large amount of chlorine gas leaked from the aquatic centre at around 9:45. 29 people were rushed to hospital as they had trouble breathing, painful eyes and headaches. A further 200 people were forced to flee from the scene as the gas raged on. 

13 Ambulances arrived at the scene to help the affected people. The London fire brigade claim that the leak was caused from a chemical reaction causing a high quantity of gas to be released. A perimeter has been laid out to ensure no one else is affected. Hospitals in east London have received 12 adults and 7 children with respiratory problems.

Civilians from apartments near the scene have been in touch with local reporters. One man said, “it’s quite scary and we are quite concerned”

Local people have been instructed to keep their windows and doors closed to stop any lingering chlorine gas.  

Ventilation of the building is now taking place to ensure the building can return to its old state.   

By Spike H and Rory O

Open Morning & Messy Play – Saturday 1 October

You are warmly invited to attend our Open Morning on Saturday 1 October from 09:00 to 11:00.

Please click here to pre-book an appointment.

For Early Years’ boys, we are also hosting Messy Play sessions 09:00 to 12:00 – click here to pre-book a session.

For a genuine insight into The Beacon, see our recent reviews from our ISI Inspection, Muddy Stilettos & The Good Schools Guide.