An exciting opportunity has arisen to join The Beacon Bursary Fund’s Board of Trustees.
The Beacon Bursary Fund (BBF) is a registered charity (number 310643) independent of The Beacon but connected to it.
Over the years the Fund has provided financial assistance for the education of pupils at The Beacon whose parents or guardians have run into financial difficulties, and who may otherwise have had to withdraw their son from the School at a time that might have been detrimental to their son’s educational progress.
The Fund is managed by four trustees. Following the retirement of one of our members we are now looking for a fourth person to join us.
- reviewing applications for financial assistance received from parents/carers, in conjunction with any relevant information provided by the School about the pupil(s); which may lead to:
- meeting with the parents/carers with at least one other Trustee
- coming to a decision regarding the amount of assistance the Fund will provide
- drafting of communication (usually email) to parents informing them of the Fund’s decision, in liaison with the other Trustees
- attending the AGM
- acting as an authorised signatory on the BBF bank account
- considering any other issues that arise relating to the Fund with the other trustees
We are looking for someone who:
- has a strong interest in education, particularly of the prep school age
- has an understanding of how independent schools work
- is comfortable in the analysis of financial information
- can handle applications with discretion, diplomacy and empathy
- can be available for six to eight early evening meetings a year (usually starting at 18:00 and currently held remotely), and the AGM (held December/January)
- The BBF holds a portfolio currently managed by Investec and whilst not a prerequisite, it would be helpful if the applicant had a working knowledge of investments and the stock market
Further details about The Beacon Bursary Fund can be found on the School’s website.
Given the sensitive nature of the Fund’s work, we kindly ask existing Beacon parents, staff, Governors or anyone with direct connections to current Beacon pupils to refrain from applying.
The Beacon is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults and expects all our volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced disclosure will be conducted for the successful applicant.
Please email applications and requests for further information to Frank Muzika, Director of Finance & Operations, at DFO@beaconschool.co.uk