Tap here to view more information about 'Our School'

Board of Governors

Communications to the Chairman should be sent to chairman@beaconschool.co.uk or via the Clerk to the Governors, The Beacon School, Amersham Road, Chesham Bois, Amersham, Buckinghamshire HP6 5PF. Correspondence received in school holidays will be forwarded.

If you are interested in joining the Governing Body / Board of Trustees, please contact the Chairman at the email address above.

Click on the names below for more information about that person.

For Governors: click here to access The Beacon Governors' Email & Document Portal

David Hollander (Chairman)

David Hollander

David has enjoyed a successful career in both corporate and entrepreneurial environments, large and small.  He offers a wealth of business and general management experience, and a strong sales and marketing background.  As well as working for some smaller firms, David has worked at Procter and Gamble, Quaker Oats, Disney and Dyson, where he was their Managing Director for GB and Ireland until January 2014, when he was appointed Chief Executive of Aqualisa, the shower company.  

David’s son joined The Beacon in 1998 in Reception and left 10 years later from Year 8.  As David says, “these 10 years gave my son a great start to his education and me a great insight into the school, to which I want to give something back”.  David was appointed to the Board of Governors in 2009.

As Chairman, David is an ex officio member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Mike Francis (Vice Chairman)

Mike is a chartered accountant and works for an international specialist bank in London, where he is Head of Business Banking.

Mike's family's connections with The Beacon date back to 1960 when his brother joined the school.  Mike was at The Beacon from 1971 to 1979.  He has three sons, who were also all at The Beacon.  Mike has been a governor since 2009.

Mike chairs the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Simon Allcock

Simon read Classics at Oxford before starting teaching at Charterhouse.  He is now back as Head of Classics at Wellington College, after a year teaching at Phillips Academy Exeter (USA).  He has also been Master in charge of Oxbridge and a Deputy Housemaster.  His other interests include rock-climbing, Alpinism and skiing and he is involved with his local church and summer camps. He was a pupil at The Beacon from 1985-1993.

Simon is a member of the Education Committee.  He is the Governor with responsibility for School Trips.

Michael Bond

Michael BondMichael is currently Vice Principal Education of Berkhamsted Schools Group. Prior to joining the school he was Head of Sixth at Merchant Taylors’ School Northwood for five years (2007-2012), and therefore has experience of teaching former Beacon pupils in his two most recent posts. Earlier in his career, he was a Boarding Housemaster and Head of History at Christ College Brecon (2002-2007), having started his teaching career in the North East of England at the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1995-2002). He has recently been involved in setting up a Free School for Sixth Form students in Sheffield.

Michael is married with two sons and his interests include football (he is a long-suffering supporter of Newcastle United), skiing (he is an ASCL-qualified Ski Leader) and personal training.

Michael is a member of the Education Committee and the HR Committee.

Ros Garrett-Bowes

Rosalind Garrett-BowesRos is a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser who runs her own Corporate Tax practice following a successful tax career with two of the Big 4 accounting firms. She has a broad business and tax background from working on diverse projects such as the electricity privatisation, and, currently, from listed multinational companies to family owned ones. She is a graduate of Manchester University and is a fluent French speaker.

Ros has enjoyed living in Amersham for more than twenty years, during which her son spent six happy years at The Beacon. She is learning to play bridge at a local club and is an enthusiastic church bell ringer. She rings at many local churches but principally at St Mary’s Church in Old Amersham where she is a Tower member.

Ros is a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Justin Hardman

Justin is a Technology Director at JPMorgan. He is married with two teenage sons who are both former pupils of The Beacon and are now at Dr. Challoner’s Grammar School.

Justin enjoys sport and captained his University Tennis team. He has run marathons and now regularly rides with the Amersham Road Cycling Club. He lives in Amersham and likes to spend his spare time with his family and two dogs and has an interest in following the latest trends in technology.

Justin is a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee. 

Stephanie Horrocks

Stephanie has enjoyed a successful teaching career in several Bucks secondary schools, most recently at Dr Challoner’s Grammar School where she taught English for over 20 years. In 2001 she was appointed as Assistant Headteacher (Student Development), responsible for overseeing the learning and development of all students in Years 7 to 11, a busy but rewarding role. She has thus known many past Beacon students and their parents. 

With three grown up children and now retired, Stephanie retains a keen interest in young people, education and learning, and is thus delighted to serve as a Governor of The Beacon. 

Stephanie is a member of the Education Committee and the HR Committee. She is the designated Governor with responsibility for Safeguarding and Child Protection. 

Pippa Kirkbride

Pippa has enjoyed a successful career in food manufacturing and retail and as a product development specialist has worked for United Biscuits,Grand Metropolitan, Northern Foods and Marks and Spencer.

Since retiring from Marks and Spencer, Pippa now works for Citizens Advice Bureau as a generalist adviser and a Money Advice case worker as well as supporting Sense and Save the Children organisations.

Pippa has lived in Amersham for over 20 years, is married and has two grown up daughters. She thoroughly enjoys her role as a Governor of The Beacon and loves being involved in its happy, stimulating and excellent environment.

Pippa is a member of the Admissions & Marketing Committee and the Finance & General Purposes Committee.  

Fiona Mayhew

Fiona read Chemistry at Oxford before pursuing a career in business, working for companies such as Marakon Associates, Diageo and Shell. She brings a broad range of management experience having sat on various leadership teams and boards, with particular strengths in strategy, finance and people development. She is a trained Executive Coach and now runs her own Leadership Development company, which she balances alongside bringing up her three children who are now at local secondary schools.  

Fiona has lived in the area for over 20 years and is married to Andy. All of the Mayhew boys (including Andy and his brother) attended The Beacon, the youngest leaving in 2016.

Fiona is a member of the Admissions & Marketing Committee.

Debbie McGregor

Debbie has spent her career in Human Resources spanning 30 years across a number of industries, mostly in financial services. Following a long career in banking where she was a Managing Director at UBS AG, she now works as an independent consultant and executive coach, having trained in leadership coaching at the Tavistock Institute in London. She is currently embarked on a Masters degree at Oxford University. Through her work in the City, she has been a volunteer in schools in east London.

Debbie grew up in the Amersham area, attending local independent and state schools. She has a daughter and a son, who was at The Beacon for 10 years from 1995. 

Debbie chairs the HR Committee.

Nilesh Pandya

Nilesh is a Chartered Accountant and has been CFO of private equity backed businesses since 2001.  In his earlier career, he was Financial Controller of Marks & Spencer Foods and a member of the corporate finance team at HSBC Investment Bank. Nilesh attended Whitgift School and University College, Oxford.

Nilesh and Hema live in Chalfont St Giles having moved to Buckinghamshire in 2001.  They have a daughter and a son, who joined The Beacon in Reception and had an amazing time all the way through to Year 8, leaving in 2016. 

Nilesh enjoys travelling and most sports, watching more than playing these days!

Nilesh is a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Joanna Pardon

Joanna has been Headmistress at Maltman's Green School in Gerrards Cross since 2005, having previously worked in independent schools in Kent, Norfolk and Yorkshire, both day and boarding.  She has taken on roles including Head of Humanities, Head of Technology, Director of Studies, Deputy Head and Head.  She has been an Independent Schools Inspector since 2000.

Joanna has a passion for the natural world and a BSc in Environmental Studies.  Having decided on a career in education, she qualified initially with a PGCE, adding an MA in education as school management became a greater focus. She has been actively involved in the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS), as secretary for her local district, member of the Strategy Committee, Trustee of the Benevolent Fund and currently Trustee of the IAPS Charitable Trust.

At Maltman's, she has combined her love of children and the environment, gaining Eco school green flag status and ensuring that the school is a nationally recognised leader for sustainability in education.

Apart from her passion for Prep school education, Joanna loves gardening, reading and walking her dog.

Joanna chairs the Education Committee and is a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Andrew Reynolds

Andrew Reynolds

Andrew is a chartered surveyor and has worked in all aspects of the UK commercial property market for over 30 years, most recently as MD at W.R.Berkley Development, part of the W.R.Berkley Company.

Andrew has two sons who are former pupils of The Beacon.

Andrew is a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew is a barrister, a Q.C., specialising in commercial litigation and company law.  He practises from Erskine Chambers in Lincoln’s Inn, London.  He is married with two sons, former pupils of The Beacon, one now at Berkhamsted School, the eldest having now left Berkhamsted, and a daughter, also at Berkhamsted.  

He is a keen sportsman, playing and coaching cricket still, although his rugby and hockey playing days are over.  He is Chairman at Ballinger Cricket Club.  His other interests include gardening and hill walking.  He was educated at St John's School Northwood, Merchant Taylors' and St Catharine’s College Cambridge.

Marcus Thompson

Marcus is a lawyer and partner at Ropes & Gray International LLP in London. He specialises in business-related criminal matters such as corruption, fraud, money laundering and sanctions. He also serves as Assistant General Counsel to the firm in London.  

Marcus has two sons who have attended The Beacon since Nursery, one of whom is now at Dr Challoner’s Grammar School and the other of whom is still at The Beacon.  Marcus was also a pupil at The Beacon, as was his brother and brother-in-law.

Marcus is a member of the HR Committee.

Alison Thomson

Alison is a retired hospital doctor, who graduated from St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School. She had twenty years’ experience in both the pharmaceutical industry and hospital medicine, latterly at The Churchill Hospital, Oxford.

Alison has lived in Princes Risborough for 25 years. She is married to a local ENT surgeon and has three children in their twenties, one of whom spent nine very happy years at The Beacon from 1996. 

Her hobbies include painting, reading, walking her dog, skiing and tennis.

Alison attends the School Health & Safety Committee meetings.

Crispin Tomlinson

Crispin Tomlinson

Crispin is a solicitor and a partner at DAC Beachcroft  LLP; he specialises in commercial property.  Prior to becoming a lawyer he spent 4 years in industry working for GKN plc and served in the Royal Navy for 8 years.

He has two children, a daughter and a son who is a former pupil of The Beacon.

He is a keen supporter of Amersham & Chalfont Hockey Club (having played hockey for the Royal Navy), is an offshore yachtmaster and an occasional golfer.

Crispin is a member of the Admissions & Marketing Committee.