Tap here to view more information about 'Our School'

History

Stanley Fieldhouse founded The Beacon in 1933 with just five boys – this is the origin of the 5-pointed star on the school crest.

By 1937, the number of pupils was 35. Bois Farm, the site of the present Beacon School, was built in the 17th century. Its timbered barns, the only remaining parts, have been used for very different purposes since the farmlands were sold for development before the Second World War. Around 1930, it housed a repertory theatre and, in the mid-thirties, it was a dance hall. During the Second World War, the army were billeted in the buildings. There is evidence of this in the present dining hall where ‘Sgts Mess’ has been carved over the doorway into what is now the Headmaster’s house.

In the 1950s, Bois Farm was bought by the late Philip Masters to accommodate the 60 pupils, made up of boarders and day boys, of The Beacon. In 1959, the parents presented the main playing field, called Willsfield, to the school. During his time as Headmaster, ‘Pip’ Masters wrote the book ‘Preparatory Schools Today’, and abandoned boarding. He retired in 1972 with around 300 boys on the school roll.

He was succeeded as Headmaster in 1972 by his son-in-law Hugh Davies-Jones. The Beacon Educational Trust was formed.

John Cross, formerly Head of French, renewed his association with The Beacon by returning to take up the headship in 1986, shortly before the introduction of the National Curriculum in 1988.

In 1999 Michael Spinney was appointed as Headmaster and the school grew to over 400 pupils. In 2008/09 the school celebrated its 75th anniversary.

Paul Brewster took on the baton from Michael Spinney in September 2009 and served as Headmaster of The Beacon until September 2013.  Michael Spinney then returned as interim Headmaster for two years, until  William Phelps took over in September 2015.